Stories from the Temple: the metamorphosis of the temple through space and time

The exhibition is held under the auspices of the member of the B&H Presidency, Dr Denis Becirovic.

JU BKC KS would like to thank: the Government of Sarajevo Canton, the City of Sarajevo, Visit Sarajevo, as well as numerous partners and broadcasters.

The exhibition will be open to the public from July 1 to July 30 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

The exhibition “Temple” is a story about the complete history of the space, which is one of the symbols of Sarajevo. It is the Sephardic temple, which has undergone a series of transformations over time and today functions as the Bosnian Cultural Centre of the Sarajevo Canton. The idea of building the largest Jewish temple in the Balkans was born long ago in 1923, in order to enrich the life of the religious community.

Built in the Moorish style, according to the design of the architect Rudolf Lubinski, the specificity of this temple was the magnificent elliptical dome covered with copper, with a diameter of 22m and a height of about 30m, which positioned it as the third largest in Europe, between the two wars. The temple changed over time – but it was always connected to the city and its population. The synagogue was opened in 1930, but turbulent historical circumstances changed its purpose, so in the time of socialism it became the Workers University “Djuro Djakovic”, an educational and cultural institution. During the siege, this building was a key place for holding some of the most important events that were and still remain a symbol of civil resistance. Nowadays, it is the Public Institution Bosnian Cultural Centre of the Sarajevo Canton that has been operating there since the war 92-95.